Improving living conditions
In Guatemala, 50.9% of the population lives below the poverty line, and 93% are in rural areas. This explains the importance of agriculture in the economy. But production, mostly by small-scale producers practising subsistence agriculture, suffers from low productivity, held back by obsolete infrastructure and by low levels of education and social spending in rural areas.
ON THE GROUND
The action priorities of Uniterra’s partners are to strengthen production and marketing capacity for agricultural products by focusing on exports, market access and the social economy, to support the social economy through political dialogue and to promote access and participation by g/ women in civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights.
Involvement by Uniterra partners and volunteers has brought numerous results. These include a major promotion of fair trade and of small and medium-sized Guatemalan businesses as well as the institutionalization of fair trade in the Ministry of the Economy through creation of the Fair Trade Commission. In addition, it has been possible engage in fair trade abroad of certain local products (such as organic coffee), notably in Canada.
UNITERRA’S PARTNERS IN GUATEMALA
- Comisión Interinstitucional de Comercio Justo y Solidario
- AGEXPORT: Asociación Guatemalteca de Exportadores
- Kiej de los Bosques
- FENATUCGUA: Federación Nacional de Turismo Comunitario
- Asociación Ak' Tenamit
- INGUAT: Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo (mesa de turismo)
- ASDECOHUE: Asociación para el Desarrollo Comunitario de Huehuetenango
- UNAMG: Union Nacional de Mujeres Guatemaltecas
- Grupo Ceiba
- Red Nacional de Grupos Gestores
- Centro de Voluntariado Guatemalteco (CVG)
- December 5, 2013
- 2013 International Volunteer DayVolunteer Day
- November 5, 2013
- Uniterra announces the winners of the "Making a difference, one photo at a time!” Photo Contest
- November 1, 2013
- International Forum in Ottawa
- September 18, 2013
- Have you registered yet for the 2013 International Forum?
- Conseiller-ère volontaire à l'appui au renforcement des compétences techniques en secrétariat et en administration, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en appui en recherche de financement, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en formation de formateurs en technique de construction de bâtiment par l'approche par compétence, HAITI