Food and agriculture development and sustainable forestry management in Nepal
Nepal is a poor country. Agriculture forms the basis of the economy and employs up to 70.6% of the workforce. The government’s main poverty reduction policies involve increasing agricultural production and productivity through the government sector as well as the private and cooperative sectors.
ON THE GROUND
In this context, Uniterra has chosen two main focuses, food and agriculture development and sustainable forestry management.
The action priorities of Uniterra’s partners are to increase and diversify agricultural production, to promote the use of high-yield technology to reduce production costs, to process products, and to encourage agricultural entrepreneurship.
The involvement in forestry centres around promoting the commercialization of forest products, creating and developing micro-businesses and encouraging private sector participation in community management of forests.
The work by partners and volunteers has led to a number of successes. These include the creation of commercial links and new business opportunities, along with steps to mobilize inhabitants, especially women, to exploit their resources and skills more effectively. Significant results have also been obtained in commercialization and in training for the management of cooperatives.
UNITERRA’S PARTNERS IN NEPAL
Food and agriculture development
- Central Union of Fruits and Vegetable Cooperatives Ltd.
- Nepal Agricultural Cooperative Central Federation Ltd.
- CDCAN: Central Dairy Cooperative Association Nepal
- District Users' Association Chitwan
- EDS: Environment Development Society Surkhet
Sustainable development of community forests
- FECOFUN: Federation of Community Forestry Users Nepal
- ANSAB: Asia Network for Sustainable Agriculture and Bioresources
- HBTL: Himalayan Bio Trade Pvt. Ltd
- IDS: Integrated Development Society
Business development, training and technical support
- CMF: Centre for Micro Finance
- FTG: Fair Trade Group Nepal
Female-male equality and social inclusion
- FEDO: Feminist Dalit Organization
- DWO: Dalit Welfare Organization
- PDRC: Professional Development and Research Centre