Local economic development
In Senegal, agriculture remains one of the key sectors in the economy. It accounts for 60% to 65% of the country’s economically active population and provides the main leverage for the development of the crafts and industry sectors. The farm sector’s orientations aim for family operators to adopt intensive, diversified and sustainable agricultural systems that respect natural resources.
ON THE GROUND
The priorities of Uniterra’s partners are to increase and diversify income in family farm operations by improving the processing and commercialization of basic products (rice, peanuts, garden produce, grains). They also aim for recognition of the status of agricultural producers and farming operations as well as access to optimal factors of production.
This requires helping develop family farming operations to ensure food security and to reduce poverty among rural people in particular, notably through advocacy, strengthening the role of peasant organizations and support for intensifying and modernizing agriculture by promoting family operations.
In the last five years, Uniterra has helped obtain improved market access for two partner umbrella organizations (CCPA, AUMN), resulting in market gardeners seeing their income rise by about 30%. What is needed now is to broaden this access to a greater number of organizations.
UNITERRA’S PARTNERS IN SENEGAL
- CCPA: Cadre de Concertation des Producteurs d’Arachides
- FPA: Fédération des Périmètres Autogérés
- CNCR: Conseil National de Concertation et de Coopération des Ruraux
- AUMN: Association des Unions Maraîchères des Niayes
- CNVAF: Convergence Nationale pour la Valorisation des Activités de Femmes
- Réseau Siggil Jigeen
- Government services in the agriculture sector including the Direction de l’Horticulture, the Direction de l’Analyse et de la Prévision Statistique (DAPS) and the Conseil National à la Sécurité Alimentaire (CNSA)
- December 5, 2013
- 2013 International Volunteer DayVolunteer Day
- November 5, 2013
- Uniterra announces the winners of the "Making a difference, one photo at a time!” Photo Contest
- November 1, 2013
- International Forum in Ottawa
- September 18, 2013
- Have you registered yet for the 2013 International Forum?
- Conseiller-ère volontaire à l'appui au renforcement des compétences techniques en secrétariat et en administration, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en appui en recherche de financement, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en formation de formateurs en technique de construction de bâtiment par l'approche par compétence, HAITI