For a better health
In Malawi, about 40% of the population lives below the poverty line, and life expectancy has fallen to 49 years, due in particular to HIV and AIDS. Agriculture is the main occupation of more than 80% of the rural population, but the HIV and AIDS pandemic affects working-age people and is holding back the country’s already weak economic growth.
Malawi’s national response to HIV and AIDS has two facets: reducing the incidence of HIV and then improving the quality of life for people who are infected or otherwise affected.
ON THE GROUND
In this context, the action priorities of Uniterra’s partners are to enhance the knowledge and skills of partners and their members to implement HIV and AIDS programs effectively and to make care more accessible for people living with HIV and AIDS, as well as to reduce the incidence of new HIV infections and to increase the equal participation and involvement of women and men in HIV and AIDS programs.
In the last few years, two of the largest organizations working on HIV and AIDS have strengthened their capacities, enabling them to support more than 500 service organizations throughout the country. Beneficiaries now receive better home palliative care, and volunteers are better prepared to look after the affected patients. Uniterra is also contributing to the Bike for AIDS project, which aims to collect funds for purchasing and distributing bicycle ambulances.
UNITERRA’S PARTNERS IN MALAWI
- MOEST: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
- MANET+: Malawi Network of People living with HIV and AIDS
- MANASO: Malawi Network of AIDS Service Organisations
- FAWEMA: Forum for African Women Educatinists in Malawi
- FUM: Farmers Union of Malawi
Video of WUSC's programming in Malawi - The Uniterra programme and more!
- December 5, 2013
- 2013 International Volunteer DayVolunteer Day
- November 5, 2013
- Uniterra announces the winners of the "Making a difference, one photo at a time!” Photo Contest
- November 1, 2013
- International Forum in Ottawa
- September 18, 2013
- Have you registered yet for the 2013 International Forum?
- Conseiller-ère volontaire à l'appui au renforcement des compétences techniques en secrétariat et en administration, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en appui en recherche de financement, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en formation de formateurs en technique de construction de bâtiment par l'approche par compétence, HAITI