Local economic development
In Guinea, more than 80% of the population works in agriculture and fisheries. However, the challenge is to move from subsistence agriculture to market agriculture and to encourage the development of artisanal fisheries. Guinea benefits from a young, active population that needs to get onto the job market, making job creation very important.
ON THE GROUND
Uniterra’s partners are involved in the production, processing and commercialization of agricultural and artisanal fishery products. They help improve income for producers by making rural sector organizations more dynamic, and they support promotion of employment for young people and women through the social economy.
In the last five years, Uniterra’s partners have established a mutual savings and credit institution in the artisanal fisheries sector, giving thousands of people in the sector access to credit. Thanks to work by these partners, the Guinean government has recognized the importance of shea butter in the rural economy as well as the role of the social economy in the fight against poverty.
Uniterra’s partners today seek to broaden the establishment of mutual institutions as well as community banks for social finance accessible to organizations of farmers and fishers. And to help young people and women move into the job market, income-generating activities are being developed through the social economy.
UNITERRA’S PARTNERS IN GUINEA
- MECREPAG: Mutuelle d’épargne et de crédit des pêcheurs artisans de Guinée
- CNOPG: Confédération nationale des organisations paysannes de Guinée
- RÉGESS: Réseau guinéen d’économie sociale solidaire
- CONAG-DCF: Coalition nationale de Guinée pour les droits et la citoyenneté des femmes
- DNDL: Direction nationale du développement local of the Ministère de la Décentralisation et du Développement local
- December 5, 2013
- 2013 International Volunteer DayVolunteer Day
- November 5, 2013
- Uniterra announces the winners of the "Making a difference, one photo at a time!” Photo Contest
- November 1, 2013
- International Forum in Ottawa
- September 18, 2013
- Have you registered yet for the 2013 International Forum?
- Conseiller-ère volontaire à l'appui au renforcement des compétences techniques en secrétariat et en administration, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en appui en recherche de financement, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en formation de formateurs en technique de construction de bâtiment par l'approche par compétence, HAITI