Head off internationally
for a few months or up to two years
With Uniterra, you can serve on mandates of a few weeks or up to two years and support the development initiatives of local organizations in Africa, Latin America and Asia. Uniterra’s volunteer service positions are open to individuals who hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status and who are 18 to 70 years old and in good physical health.
Check out our volunteers' blogs:
Volunteers are not paid for their services. However, they receive a basic subsistence allowance based on the cost of living in the host country. For long-term assignments, allowances can be increased to take account of the presence of dependent persons recognized by the program. In addition to the subsistence allowance, Uniterra assumes volunteers’ travel costs to and from their position as well as coverage under an insurance program.
Uniterra volunteer positions are open to individuals who hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status and who are 18 to 70 years old and in good physical health. Uniterra volunteers are recruited for their experience and professional skills as well as their strength of character. They agree to donate the time and expertise and show a desire to contribute to the cause of development. Volunteers stand out for their simple way of life, their ability to adapt and their interpersonal qualities. In addition, they must demonstrate professional behaviour and an open mind toward other mentalities and other ways of life.
To submit your application for a position that interests you, consult the list of positions, open the description of the position that interests you, and following the directions in the section titled “TO APPLY” at the bottom of the page. The only way to apply for a Uniterra mandate is through our application management system (we do not accept résumés by e-mail). Once your application file has been created, it will be kept permanently in the system. Be sure to retain your password for access to your file and to be able to modify your profile and apply for other Uniterra mandates in the future. Do not create a new account if you are applying for a second mandate.
Steps in the selection process
- After the closing of a competition, we contact the selected candidates for interviews. Those who have not been selected will not receive a response.
- The individuals who are chosen will be called to an interview conducted by Uniterra staff.
- The recruiting agent in charge of the position submits the profiles of the chosen candidates for final selection, which will be conducted by the partner organization on the ground.
- The recruiting agent informs the person selected by the partner on the ground. If this person remains interested, he or she will receive an information kit on the steps to follow for completing the file and preparing for departure.
- The candidate takes a five-day pre-departure training course. This training is compulsory and is part of the selection process.
- After successfully finishing the pre-departure training and completing his or her administrative file, the volunteer signs a contract and receives an itinerary, insurance policy and allowance.
Q. The deadline for submitting an application for the position that interests me has already passed. May I present an application anyway?
A. No. However, we post new positions on a regular basis. We urge you to consult the site often.
Q. Will an application be considered if I send my résumé by post or by e-mail?
A. No. All application files must be sent through our SYGESCA data system.
Q. If none of the positions posted on the website interests me, may I fill out the SYGESCA application form without applying for any particular mandate?
A. No. However, the list of positions available is continuously updated. We urge you to consult it often.
Q. If I have already created an account in the SYGESCA system, must I create a new one to update my file or to apply for another position?
A. No. If you have already created a SYGESCA account, PLEASE DO NOT DO SO AGAIN. To update your file (postal or e-mail address, résumé, etc.), simply open your account in the SYGESCA system and modify your profile. If you wish to apply for another mandate, do so from the Uniterra list of positions. Since you have already created an account, you need only open a session by entering your e-mail address and your password.
Q. I don’t remember if I have created an account in the SYGESCA system, or I have forgotten my password. What should I do?
A. SYGESCA can send you a new password by e-mail. If you don’t remember if you have an account, please contact us by writing to email@example.com.
Q. Where are interviews held? Are travel costs for going to the interview reimbursed?
A. Interviews normally take place in Montreal or Ottawa, where the CECI and WUSC offices are located. Candidates who do not live near these cities will be interviewed by telephone. Each person pays his or her transportation costs for going to an interview.
- December 5, 2013
- 2013 International Volunteer DayVolunteer Day
- November 5, 2013
- Uniterra announces the winners of the "Making a difference, one photo at a time!” Photo Contest
- November 1, 2013
- International Forum in Ottawa
- September 18, 2013
- Have you registered yet for the 2013 International Forum?
- Conseiller-ère volontaire à l'appui au renforcement des compétences techniques en secrétariat et en administration, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en appui en recherche de financement, HAITI
- Conseiller-ère volontaire en formation de formateurs en technique de construction de bâtiment par l'approche par compétence, HAITI